Tcl/Tk for Python 3.6.0a3 on Os X 10.9.5

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 23:06:48 EDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 8:25 PM, Lawrence D’Oliveiro
<lawrencedo99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 8:21:57 PM UTC+12, Valeria Munoz wrote:
>>
>> I have downloaded Python 3.6.0a3 on a Mac 10.9.5 and realized that I also
>> need to download an Active Tcl for it.
>
> Python should already come with Tk <https://docs.python.org/3/library/tk.html>. Tcl is an entirely separate language from Python. While it is where Tk originated, you don’t need it to use Tk with Python.

This is very inaccurate.  From the first line of the second paragraph
at your link, "The tkinter package is a thin object-oriented layer on
top of Tcl/Tk."

Tk is very closely tied to Tcl (in fact a significant fraction of Tk
is implemented in Tcl), and a Tcl interpreter (of the exact same
version) is required to use Tk.  Python's tkinter package dynamically
links to libtcl and libtk to embed a Tcl interpreter, and all GUI
interactions are handled by Tcl calling Python callbacks.

--
Zach