Why not allow empty code blocks?

Gordon Levi gordon at address.invalid
Mon Aug 1 11:30:47 EDT 2016

"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy at Vex.Net> wrote:

>On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 11:53:47 -0400
>"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy at Vex.Net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 00:25:58 +1000
>> On the other hand I have no throwaway accounts.  Every address I use
>> is a primary one.  I have all sorts of methods to block spam.  None of
>> those methods involves moving my spam problem to someone else.
>
>For example...
>
><gordon at address.invalid>: Host or domain name not found. Name service
>error for name=address.invalid type=AAAA: Host not found
>
>So I have to examine every address I reply to or deal with the bounce
>message later.  Way to move your spam problem to someone else.

.invalid is specified in RFC 2606 for exactly that purpose. If you
don't notice that the address is invalid a server very close to you,
probably your SMTP server, will tell you. In contrast, your valid
email address will become the target of many spam emails even if you
manage to block them. It will also be used as the source of spam so
somebody at vex.net may be fooled into believing that they are
receiving a proper email.