What should Python apps do when asked to show help?

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Sat Apr 30 23:46:28 EDT 2016

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016, at 22:30, Grant Edwards wrote:
> We don't want to use a PAGER variable to specify when we want a pager
> and when we don't want a pager.  If we want a pager we append "| less"
> to the command.  If we don't want a pager, we don't append that to the
> command.

Setting PAGER=cat - permanently, in your profile, and never ever
changing it - gives this result, yet it's described by some people here
as "So I have to cripple my shell [...]?" What is crippled? Evidently
you're not "we", since this "crippled" state of affairs seems to be a
perfectly acceptable one to you.