What should Python apps do when asked to show help?

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Fri Apr 29 23:14:03 EDT 2016

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016, at 22:46, Rustom Mody wrote:
> I dont get whats so hard to get in this:
> When we need pagers we know where to get them

And if you set PAGER=cat (thus "crippling your shell"), you will
likewise know where to get them when you want to page the output from
man or git. Why is pydoc less of a "place where a pager should be used
by default" than man or git (diff, log, etc), if you accept the latter?

> When we dont, please dont thump them on us
> I dont know that anyone has taken the "I-HATE-pagers' view so much as
> "Let me get them when I want them"

Sure. And if you set PAGER=cat, then you won't ever see a pager unless
you specifically request one. Everyone wins.