What should Python apps do when asked to show help?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 22:27:28 EDT 2016

On Saturday, April 30, 2016 at 7:47:11 AM UTC+5:30, Random832 wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2016, at 22:09, Ethan Furman wrote:
> > So I have to cripple my shell to get pydoc help to work nicely?  Neat!
> > Actually, not so much.  :(
>
> If you don't want a pager with pydoc, when exactly do you want it?

- I start a python interpreter
- ... Am pottering around for a while
- ... Need help on something...
      [So with Steven's solution of PAGER=cat Ive to restart python!!
      Leaving that aside...]
- ... help can do one of two valid things [remember I am on a modern windowing
      system]
      -- start help inline, inband (cat)
      -- start help out of band (browser, yelp, etc ie some other app)

Instead it does some ½-assed fall-between-the-stools of both