What should Python apps do when asked to show help?

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Thu Apr 28 13:40:10 EDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016, at 13:33, Grant Edwards wrote:
> As long as -? -h --help just write stuff to stdout you can add
> whatever other options you like that run pagers, start up web
> browsers, or show mp4 movies on the wall without annoying grouchy old
> Unix users like me.  ;)

One disadvantage is that you have to compose two forms of documentation.
I suspect this is why git [command] --help just opens the manpage. (It
helps that man itself just sends output to stdout when not outputting to
a tty... though it's very annoying that on Windows it opens it in a web
browser instead.)