What should Python apps do when asked to show help?

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Thu Apr 28 13:27:42 EDT 2016

On 04/28/2016 10:02 AM, Dan Strohl via Python-list wrote:

> I would suggest using argparse https://docs.python.org/3/library/argparse.html as it handles all of that natively...

On the other hand, if you feel that argparse is akin to using a canon to
kill a mosquito, you can try scription*:

- not argparse based
- simple to use
- supports flags, options, multioptions
- supports --help (and -h if no other parameter uses that abbreviation)
- supports --verbose (and -v of no other . . .)
- supports --version
- script parameters are global
- (sub)command parameters are local

--
~Ethan~

* https://pypi.python.org/pypi/scription

P.S.  Yes, my package.  ;)  Created both for the learning, and because I
feel like argparse is overpowered, complicated, and un-fun for scripts.