How much sanity checking is required for function inputs?

Christopher Reimer christopher_reimer at icloud.com
Sat Apr 23 23:19:14 EDT 2016

On 4/23/2016 7:34 PM, Michael Torrie wrote
> Procedural programming does not necessarily mean BASIC-style goto hell.
> Not sure why you would think that.  In fact that's not really what
> procedural programming is about.

I mentioned several messages back that I spent two years writing
procedural scripts AND translating BASIC games into Python, which can be
goto hell if the program has a drop-down structure that makes sense only
from following the entry point of the goto statement (see link for example).

http://www.atariarchives.org/basicgames/showpage.php?page=9

I try to follow the BASIC program structure as closely as possible, get
it working in Python, and use pylint to make my code PEP8-compliant.
Pylint frequently complains about exceeding a dozen if branches in the
main function. I then create helper functions to reduce the if branches.
Sometimes that makes the Python version either shorter or longer than
the original BASIC program.

Thank you,

Chris R.