How much sanity checking is required for function inputs?

Christopher Reimer christopher_reimer at icloud.com
Sat Apr 23 21:30:11 EDT 2016

On 4/21/2016 10:25 PM, Stephen Hansen wrote:

> Why not, 'color in ("black", "white")'?

Checkers seems popular around here. What if I want to change "white" to
"red," as red and black is a common color scheme for checkers. Do I
change a single constant variable or replace all the occurrences in the
files?

Some of these constants are shortcuts. Instead of writing slice(0, 16)
or slice(48, 64), and getting the two confused, I write
const['board_bottom'] or const['board_top'], respectively, when I want
to pull the correct set of positions from coordinates list.

> That said, if you're wanting to share constants across different parts
> of your code, use a module.

I did that at first, made it into a dictionary class and added
ConfigParser to the mix. I had a lot of fun putting that one together.
However, as I refactor my code further as I learn new things, it will
probably get changed or removed. Being a research project, I'm willing
to dive into every rabbit hole that I come across to learn Python properly.

Thank you,

Chris R.