How are you supposed to define subclasses in C?

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Thu Apr 21 12:35:56 EDT 2016

I was trying to write a proof of concept on including descriptors (e.g.
a "sys.recursionlimit" instead of set/get methods) in the sys module,
and couldn't figure out how to "properly" define a type using
PyType_FromSpecWithBases. Everything I tried just segfaulted. I ended up
just calling PyObject_CallFunctionObjArgs((PyObject *)&PyType_Type, ...)
but I assume there's a better way to do it. I couldn't find any examples
or tutorial.