Detecting repeated subsequences of identical items

Michael Selik michael.selik at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 02:35:33 EDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 11:11 PM Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>
wrote:

> I want to group [repeated] subsequences. For example, I have:
> "ABCABCABCDEABCDEFABCABCABCB"
> and I want to group it into repeating subsequences. I can see two
> ways... How can I do this? Does this problem have a standard name and/or
> solution?

I'm not aware of a standard name. This sounds like an unsupervised learning
problem. There's no objectively correct answer unless you add more
specificity to the problem statement.

Regexes may sound tempting at first, but because a repeating subsequence
may have nested repeating subsequences and this can go on infinitely, I
think we at least need a push-down automata.

I checked out some links for clustering algorithms that work on series
subsequences and I found some fun results.

Clustering is meaningless!
http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~eamonn/meaningless.pdf

I think you're in "no free lunch" territory. "Clustering of subsequence
time series remains an open issue in time series clustering"
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/tswj/2014/312521/

Any more detail on the problem to add constraints?