Guido sees the light: PEP 8 updated

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Tue Apr 19 07:47:50 EDT 2016

Paul Rudin <paul.nospam at rudin.co.uk>:

> Pete Forman <petef4+usenet at gmail.com> writes:
>> Why is it that Python continues to use a fixed width font and
>> therefore specifies the maximum line width as a character count?
>
> Python doesn't require the use of any particular font for editing your
> code.
>
> However programmers tend to use fixed width fonts when editing code
> because then the visual representation of indentation works
> consistently. But that's not a python specific thing.

Prehistoric programming languages considered uppercase/lowercase
differences insignificant variations. Most modern languages preserve the
distinction and in fact invite us to make a difference between:

   BLACK
   Black
   black

Why stop there?

We need a PEP to distinguish also between:

 - typefaces (Times New Roman vs Garamond)

 - weights (bold vs thin)

 - serifs (with or without)

 - sizes (8pt vs 11pt)

 - colors (goldenrod vs maroon)

Think of all the lesser programming languages that would seem so
20th-century when Python takes this step -- which virtually every
self-respecting web site has already taken in their style sheets!

Marko