Guido sees the light: PEP 8 updated

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 17:29:49 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Pete Forman <petef4+usenet at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why is it that Python continues to use a fixed width font and therefore
> specifies the maximum line width as a character count?
>
> An essential part of the language is indentation which ought to continue
> to mandate that lines start with a multiple of 4 em worth of space (or
> some other size or encode with hard tabs, that is not germane to my
> question). The content of the line need not be bound by the rules needed
> to position its start.

How many spaces is "4 em worth"? How would you incorporate that into
the Python compiler or a linter without needing to know what
particular font the programmer is using? What happens when another
programmer reviews the code using a different font and finds that
there is only 3.5em worth of space? Do we descend into Calibri /
Verdana line-length edit wars?