Moderation and slight change of (de facto) policy

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Apr 17 20:49:07 EDT 2016

Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> writes:

> On 04/17/2016 03:08 PM, Matt Ruffalo wrote:
>
> > That seems like a reasonable approach, though I think there *really*
> > needs to be an option along the lines of "subscribed to the list for
> > the purposes of moderation, but not receiving list messages via
> > email".
>
> I don't understand what you are saying.
>
> If you are not receiving emails, how are you reading the list?  A news
> reader?

Another way is to receive messages to one email address, but to post
using a different email address that should not receive those messages.

E.g. the same person may wish to post as <alice at example.org>, but not
receive messages to that address because they receive the same messages
already at <alice at example.com>.

> If you are subscribed for moderation, how does that help with the lag
> time when you do post?

I think that (using the above example) the wish is for *both* those
addresses to be considered “subscribed for the purpose of moderation”,
without that also entailing delivery of messages.

--
 \     “What is needed is not the will to believe but the will to find |
  `\       out, which is the exact opposite.” —Bertrand Russell, _Free |