Guido sees the light: PEP 8 updated

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Sun Apr 17 06:04:40 EDT 2016

On 17/04/2016 04:44, Rustom Mody wrote:
> On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 10:22:10 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

>> It comes with the maxim that one function must be visible at once on the
>> screen.
>
> Thats a strange self-contradiction.  I wrote this:
>   http://blog.languager.org/2012/10/layout-imperative-in-functional.html
> to make the case against PEP8 style line length strictures.
> Which has the SAME code formatted in two styles:
>
> --  < 80 cols, 48 lines
> --  115 cols 37 lines
>
> Clearly the 115 cols is MORE fittable in a page than the 80 cols
> [Though my argument for that is based on other structural/semantic principles]

Um, that's a different language, or does PEP8 apply to Haskell too?

Haskell has a style that likes to be written horizontally (rather than
have statements one after another - /on separate lines/ - as in
imperative code).

I also have trouble regarding that code as a single function, as it
implements (AFAICS) an entire lexer. It resembles data more than
anything else, and data presumably is allowed to be scrolled. Otherwise
things would be very restrictive!

--
Bartc