sys.exit(1) vs raise SystemExit vs raise

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Apr 16 21:17:01 EDT 2016

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 02:09 am, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> VMS had a whole slew of "no error" status values (essentially all
> positive odd integers were "success", but different values carried
> additional information.

1 = success
3 = success against all odds
5 = success but at great cost
7 = success, and it was as easy as falling off a log
9 = success, and it was so easy you ought to be ashamed for
    asking the computer to do it instead of doing it yourself
11 = I told you I already did it yesterday
13 = done, but it wasn't worth doing
15 = well that was easier than I expected
17 = that was harder than I expected
19 = I did it, but I'm not going to do it again

--
Steven