Guido sees the light: PEP 8 updated

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sat Apr 16 18:30:07 EDT 2016

Tim Delaney <timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com>:

> Personally, I've given up on 80 characters (or even 120 in rare cases)
> for Java code (esp method declarations), where just specifying the
> generics can often take almost that much.

Java generics ruined a perfectly good language. I mean:

    Map<AccountManager, List<Customer>> customersOfAccountManager =
        new HashMap<AccountManagerImpl, LinkedList<CustomerImpl>>();

where classic Java would have:

    Map customersOfAccountManager = new HashMap();

and Python simply:

    customers_of_account_manager = {}

However, even during my Java years, I didn't give up on the 79-character
religion (see above).

Marko