Guido sees the light: PEP 8 updated

Stephen Hansen me+python at ixokai.io
Sat Apr 16 08:32:02 EDT 2016

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016, at 01:51 AM, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 6:06 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> >> It doesn't really matter one way or another. The true WTF is that it's
> >> been changed.
> >
> > Why? Was PEP 8 inscribed on stone tablets carried down from a mountain?
>
> In a way, yes.
>
> I don't follow PEP 8 to the tee; probably nobody does. However, I don't
> see the point of turning truckloads of exemplary Python code into
> truckloads of substandard Python code.

This attitude is part of the problem: not following PEP8 does not make
code "substandard". PEP8 was never meant to be an authoritative metric
of 'good'. Its a set of guidelines that are subject to change over time
(this isn't even KINDA the first change!) and represent the core devs
taste and particular needs, and it goes out of its way to say that it is
only a suggestion and other concerns (especially local consistency)
override its advice.

---
Stephen Hansen
  m e @ i x o k a i . i o