Guido sees the light: PEP 8 updated

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Apr 16 08:03:19 EDT 2016

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 06:51 pm, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 6:06 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>>> It doesn't really matter one way or another. The true WTF is that it's
>>> been changed.
>>
>> Why? Was PEP 8 inscribed on stone tablets carried down from a mountain?
>
> In a way, yes.
>
> I don't follow PEP 8 to the tee; probably nobody does. However, I don't
> see the point of turning truckloads of exemplary Python code into
> truckloads of substandard Python code.

In Guido's own words:

The update is already serving its real purpose: showing that style is
debatable and cannot always easily be reduced to fixed rules.

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2016-April/144211.html

GvR is not a fan of the automatic and compulsory application of PEP 8
conventions without thought, so I don't think he would agree with you that
a change in the preferred style automatically and necessarily
converts "exemplary Python code" into "substandard Python code".

--
Steven