Enum questions.

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 09:50:33 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-13, Michael Selik <michael.selik at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016, 12:14 PM Antoon Pardon <antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> wrote:
>
>> I have been looking at the enum documentation and it seems enums
>> are missing two features I rather find important.
>>
>> 1) Given an Enum value, someway to get the next/previous
>>    one
>>
>> 2) Given two Enum values, iterate over the values between
>>    them.
>>
>> Did I miss those in the documentation or are they really missing?
>
> An Enum corresponds to "nominal" data that is coded as a number
> simply for storage rather than meaning.

FWIW, as an old Pascal programmer, I too would have been surprised
that an "enum" is not ordinal and doesn't support a next/prev and
iteration.

As an old C programmer, not so much. :)

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Today, THREE WINOS
                                  at               from DETROIT sold me a