Unacceptable behavior

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Sun Apr 10 10:21:24 EDT 2016

On 10/04/2016 15:03, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 11:54 PM, Jeff Schumaker <schumakerj59 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As a new member of this group, I am not sure on how to report unacceptable behavior. If this is not the correct way, I apologize.
>>
>> Please check the following thread:
>>
>> Find the number of robots needed to walk through the rectangular grid
>>
>> I believe there was some unnecessary rudeness on the part of one of the respondants to the original post
>
> My guess is you're talking about Mark Lawrence, and yes, I agree; he's
> been fairly vitriolic.
>
> The standard way to report abusive behaviour on mailing lists is to
> contact the owner. For python-list at python.org, that's
> python-list-owner at python.org, although the corresponding newsgroup
> isn't really 'owned' in the same way.

What Chris said: in the case of this list/newsgroup contact
python-list-owner at python.org. If we decide to take action, and the
person in question is coming in via Usenet, all we can do is block them
at the gateway.

Be aware, though, that aside from patently unacceptable behaviour, we're
not really interested in policing specific outbursts. People get hot
under the collar, lose their cool, say things they might regret. And,
thankfully, often come back a while later and apologise.

Where it's a case of persistent offensiveness and/or disruption to the
list/newsgroup we'll consider pointing the fact out to the person in
question and moderating their posts for a period. All we can do, really.

TJG