Unicode normalisation [was Re: [beginner] What's wrong?]

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Apr 10 05:25:48 EDT 2016

> Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>:
>
>>But when you get down to fundamentals, character sets and alphabets have
>>always blurred the line between presentation and meaning. W ("double-u")
>>was, once upon a time, UU

And before that, it was VV, because the Romans used V the
way we now use U, and didn't have a letter U.

When U first appeared, it was just a cursive style of writing
a V. According to this, it wasn't until the 18th century that
the English alphabet got both U and V as separate letters:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=147677

Apparently "uu"/"vv" came to be known as "double u" prior to
that, and the name has persisted.

--
Greg