Unicode normalisation [was Re: [beginner] What's wrong?]

Ben Bacarisse ben.usenet at bsb.me.uk
Sat Apr 9 09:43:39 EDT 2016

alister <alister.ware at ntlworld.com> writes:
<snip>
> <pedant Mode on>
> the design of qwerty was not to "Slow" the typist bu to ensure that the
> hammers for letters commonly used together are spaced widely apart,
> reducing the portion of trier travel arc were the could jam.
> I and E are actually such a pair which is why they are at opposite ends
> of the hammer rack (I doubt that is the correct technical term).
> they are on opposite hands to make typing of them faster.
> unfortunately as you found it is still possible to jam them if they are
> hit almost simultaneously
> <Pedant Mode Off>

The problem with that theory is that 'er/re' (this is e and r in either
order) is the 3rd most common pair in English but have been placed
together.  ou and et (in either order) are the 15th and 22nd most common
and they are separated by only one hammer position.  On the other hand,
the QWERTY layout puts jk together, but they almost never appear
together in English text.

--
Ben.