functools puzzle

George Trojan - NOAA Federal george.trojan at noaa.gov
Wed Apr 6 15:16:17 EDT 2016

True, but the pure Python and C implementation differ. Is that
intentional?  I find the current behaviour confusing. The doc states only
that partial object does not set the __doc__ attribute, not that the
attribute might be ignored. I had a peek at the pydoc module. It uses
inspect to determine the type of object in question through the
inspect.isXXX() functions. My h is a function, while g is not.

This is a follow-up on my previous problem with sphinx not recognizing the
doc string. I don't know whether this and sphinx issues are related. My
basic question is how to document functions created by functools.partial,
such that the documentation can be viewed not only by reading the code. Of
course, as the last resort, I could create my own implementation (i.e. copy
the pure Python code).

George