Promoting Python

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Wed Apr 6 09:54:34 EDT 2016

On 06/04/2016 12:46, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> BartC <bc at freeuk.com>:

>> It'll cope with ordinary coding as well, although such programs seem
>> to be frowned upon here; they are not 'Pythonic'.
>
> I wonder what is left of Python after your list of exclusions.

There are plenty of features that /I/ consider must-have, which Python
doesn't have. It has to emulate them, unsatisfactorily, with variables
or classes or functions, or do without.

But you're right in that little is actually essential. Basic has shown that.

You need expressions, IF, GOTO, variables and assignments, and some
means of doing I/O.

Pretty much every language has (had) those, although it's fashionable
now to do away with GOTO, and some are getting rid of (rewritable)
variables too! Others seem intent on doing away with control flow
altogether, just having expressions. Apparently they think coding should
become more elitist with only mathematicians allowed to participate.

I have the opposite view.

--
Bartc