Promoting Python

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Wed Apr 6 07:38:31 EDT 2016

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 7:06:28 AM UTC-4, BartC wrote:
> On 05/04/2016 06:48, Gordon( Hotmail ) wrote:
> > The problem I am finding is most of the sites claiming to help understand Python devote
> > far too much space bragging about the wonders of Python instead of...
>
> I fully agree. But you don't have to use classes, exceptions,
> decorators, generators, iterators, closures, comprehensions, meta
> classes, ... the list of meaningless buzzwords just goes on.

These are not meaningless buzzwords.  They are technical terms describing
the features of the language.  You don't see the need for these features,
so perhaps you haven't bothered to learn about them, but that does not
make them meaningless.

In order to make the claim that something is a meaningless buzzword, you'd
have to show the simpler better way to describe the same thing.  How would
you replace the word "class", or "decorator"?  And I don't mean, how would
you write code without using those features.  Python has classes, which are
a specific technical thing that can be clearly defined.

You might as well say that toolboxes have too many meaningless buzzwords like
hammer, screwdriver, wrench, chisel, etc.  It seems like a willful refusal to
learn about what the language offers.

But let's please not run down the rathole again of you telling us that things
like classes and exceptions are useless, and us trying to show you why they
are useful. We've been around and around those arguments, and there doesn't
seem to be anything more to say about it.

Just say that you prefer simpler languages, and leave it at that.

Perhaps what you mean is that there are too many "explanations" out there
that are not good at explaining the concepts.  I'm sure that's true. But
there are also explanations out there that are good.  Find one that speaks
to you, and learn.

--Ned.