Install request

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 12:19:21 EDT 2016

On 5 April 2016 at 16:56, Igor Korot <ikorot01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, here is my request: if its not possible to include the DLL in
> question in the installer,
> can the installer check for the OS version and ask the user to go to
> Microsoft.com,
> download and install the library?

That's a very reasonable request. Why don't you ask this question on
the issue tracker? You can find it here:

    http://bugs.python.org/

> It looks like people don't want to use their common sense and just
> wanted to waste
> everybody's time by asking what went wrong instead of just download
> the dll executable
> from MS site and install it.

I think these questions are coming from people who are completely new
to Python (and programming in general) so they find the error message
confusing and are unsure if they're doing something wrong or if the
installer hasn't worked or whatever. If you see this problem when
trying to run Python for the first time then it's hardly obvious that
you need to "update your runtime libraries".

There seem to be several different problems that Windows users are
experiencing with 3.5 and this one is the only one that actually has a
known fix: the others probably are bugs in the installer. I don't
think it's unreasonable for people to come here and ask about this. In
particular this is listed as the main place to "ask for help" on the
wiki:
https://wiki.python.org/moin/Asking%20for%20Help

Another possibility to improve this situation would be to make a page
on the wiki that actually explains the known problems (and fixes) for
3.5 on Windows.

--
Oscar