how to optimize the below code with a helper function

Martin A. Brown martin at linux-ip.net
Mon Apr 4 10:45:19 EDT 2016

Hello again,

>(1)  Any tips how I can optimize this i.e test case, should have a
>helper function that all test cases call.
>
>(2) Also note that failure.run_tool function can have variable
>number of argments how to handle this in the helper function?

Here's a little example of how you could coerce your problem into a
ConfigParser-style configuration file.

With this example, I'd think you could also see how to create a
config section called [lin_02] that contains the parameters you want
for creating that object.  Then, it's a new problem to figure out
how to refer to that object for one of your tests.

Anyway, this is just another way of answering the question of "how
do I simplify this repetitive code".

Good luck and enjoy,

-Martin

#! /usr/bin/python

from __future__ import absolute_import, division, print_function

import os
import sys
import collections
from ConfigParser import SafeConfigParser as ConfigParser
import logging

logging.basicConfig(stream=sys.stderr, level=logging.INFO)
logger = logging.getLogger(__name__)

LOG_DIR = '/var/log/frobnitz'

def readCfgTestCases(cfgfile):
    data = collections.defaultdict(dict)
    parser = ConfigParser()
    parser.read(cfgfile)
    for section in parser.sections():
        for name, value in parser.items(section):
            data[section][name] = value
    return data

def main(cfgfile):
    testdata = readCfgTestCases(cfgfile)
    for k, v in testdata.items():
        print(k, v)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main(sys.argv[1])

# -- end of file

# -- config file

[test01]
offset = 18
size = 4
object = inode
optype = set

[test02]
# -- no way to capture lin=lin_02; must reproduce contents of lin_02
object = lin
offset = 100
size = 5
optype = set

[test100]
# -- no way to capture baddr=lin_02; must reproduce contents of lin_02
object = baddr
offset = 100
size = 5
optype = set