i cant seem to figure out the error

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Sun Apr 3 14:21:45 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-03 18:34, Jason Friedman wrote:

>>    - Create a method called `withdraw` that takes in cash withdrawal amount
>>    and updates the balance accordingly. if amount is greater than balance
>>    return `"invalid transaction"`
>>
>>   def withdraw(self, amount):
>>     self.amount=amount
>>     if(amount > self.balance):
>>       return ("Amount greater than available balance.")
>>     else:
>>   self.balance -= amount
>>     return self.balance
>>

> The instructions say to "return 'invalid transaction'" but I expect they
> really want that error printed to STDERR (typically your screen) rather
> than literally returned.  Try this:
>
>    def withdraw(self, amount):
>      self.amount=amount
>      if(amount > self.balance):
>        print "Amount greater than available balance, no funds withdrawn."
>      else:
>        self.balance -= amount
>      return self.balance

The instructions say "return", not "print" and the report contains:

self.assertEqual(self.my_account.withdraw(1000), "invalid transaction",
msg='Invalid transaction')

so it _is_ checking the returned result of 'withdraw'.

Not Pythonic (neither is printing to stderr! :-)), but that's something
that can be worked on later.