[beginner] What's wrong?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 12:44:16 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 2:22 AM, Dan Sommers <dan at tombstonezero.net> wrote:
> What about the A vs a case, which comes up even with ASCII-only
> characters?  If those are the same, then I, as a reader of Python code,
> have to understand all the rules about ß (which I think have changed
> over time), and potentially þ and others.

And Iİıi, and Σσς, and (if you want completeness) ſ too. And various
other case conversion rules. It's not possible to case-fold perfectly
without knowing what language something is.

This, coupled with the extremely useful case distinction between
"Classes" and "instances", means I'm very much glad Python is case
sensitive. "base = Base()" is perfectly legal and meaningful, no
matter what language you translate those words into (well, as long as
it's bicameral - otherwise you need to adorn one of them somehow, but
you'd have to anyway).

ChrisA