[beginner] What's wrong?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 11:39:02 EDT 2016

On Sunday, April 3, 2016 at 8:58:59 PM UTC+5:30, Dan Sommers wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Apr 2016 07:30:47 -0700, Rustom Mody wrote:
>
> > So here are some examples to illustrate what I am saying:
>
> [A vs a, A vs A, flag vs flag, etc.]
<snip>
> I understand that in some use cases, flag and flag represent the same
> English word, but please don't extend that to identifiers in my
> software.

I wonder once again if you are getting my point opposite to the one I am making.
With ASCII there were problems like O vs 0 -- niggling but small.

With Unicode its a gigantic pandora box.
Python by allowing unicode identifiers without restraint has made grief for
unsuspecting programmers.

That is why my original suggestion that there should have been alongside this
'brave new world', a pragma wherein a programmer can EXPLICITLY declare
#language Greek
Then he is knowingly opting into possible clashes between A and Α
But not between A and А.

[And if you think the above is a philosophical disquisition on Aristotle's
law of identity: "A is A" you just proved my point that unconstrained Unicode
identifiers is a mess]