[beginner] What's wrong?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Apr 2 14:59:40 EDT 2016

On 4/2/2016 11:07 AM, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> While it is fine for Python to support Unicode to its fullest, I don't
> think it's a good idea for a programmer to use non-English identifiers.

Non-English identifiers can written, at least in romanized versions, in
ascii.

> The (few) keywords are in English anyway. Imagine reading code like
> this:
>
>      for oppilas in luokka:
>          if oppilas.hylätty():
>              oppilas.ilmoita(oppilas.koetulokset)
>
> which looks nauseating whether you are an English-speaker or
> Finnish-speaker.

Your sense of nausea is different from others, so speak for yourself (as
you did in the first sentence -- "I don't ...").  People were happily
and routinely writing thing like the above (minus the accented char) in
2.x.  I guess they must have kept your code out of your sight.

--
Terry Jan Reedy