A tool to add diagrams to sphinx docs

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 1 12:26:48 EDT 2016

On 1-4-2016 17:59, George Trojan - NOAA Federal wrote:
> What graphics editor would you recommend to create diagrams that can be
> included in sphinx made documentation? In the past I used xfig, but was not
> happy with font quality. My understanding is the diagrams would be saved in
> a .png file and I should use an image directive in the relevant .rst file.
>
> George

I've used .png successfully for a few images in my sphinx docs.
However if you're concerned with font quality, a better option is perhaps to use a
vector format like SVG instead. You can create them using a tool like Inkskape or
Illustrator. I haven't tried to use .svg in sphinx myself yet but I guess it simply
embeds/links it into the resulting html so a recent web browser should display them just
fine.

Irmen