Suggestion: make sequence and map interfaces more similar

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Apr 1 06:38:50 EDT 2016

On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 07:27 pm, Tim Golden wrote:

> FWIW I'm broadly with Antoon here: wider-ranging discussions can be
> interesting and useful.

Sure. But sometimes conversations are going nowhere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

http://www.montypython.net/scripts/argument.php

[...]
> If it becomes clear that the poster is in fact pushing for a change
> (either intelligently thought-out or naively ill-considered) then I
> would push them towards Python-ideas sooner than later, because that's
> exactly the purpose of *that* mailing list. People on python-ideas want
> to go to and fro over the relative merits of proposals. Specifically, I
> believe that's the only mailing list which GvR follows apart from
> python-dev. Any discussion here would likely have to be repeated over
> there anyway, so why not go there earlier on?

Informally, ideas are supposed to have an initial "sanity check" here to
avoid the really silly ideas:

Q: "Suggestion: I'm sick of writing

for key, value in other_dict.items():
    mydict[key] = value

I think that dicts should have a method to copy all the keys and values from
another dict."