Linux Mint installation of Python 3.5

Mario Figueiredo marfig at gmx.com
Tue Sep 29 23:00:24 EDT 2015

On 09/30/2015 03:44 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:

> The easiest way to install something from source is to use 'make
> altinstall' for the final step. That should install you a 'python3.5'
> binary without touching the 'python3' binary. That said, though, it's
> entirely possible that upgrading 'python3' from 3.4 to 3.5 won't
> actually break anything; it won't break any script that explicitly
> looks for python3.4, and there's not a huge amount of breakage. But to
> be on the safe side, use altinstall and explicitly ask for python3.5
> any time you want it.

Thank you Chris. That will set me on my path.

> Personally, I use the regular 'make install', but that's because I'm
> on Debian - the system Python is 2.7.

Unfortunately Ubuntu based distros are going through a 2.x to 3.x
transition period. Both Pythons are installed and are system dependencies.

And their finicky dependency on Python really make these distros not
very friendly for Python development. If I do end up successfully
upgrading from 3.4 to 3.5, I will most likely forfeit my ability to
upgrade the Mint version in the future without a full system
installation. So the solution is to just maintain 3 different versions
of python my machine. Ridiculous.