Are There Known Problems With tkinter And VPS Servers?

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Mon Sep 28 02:32:44 EDT 2015

Tim Daneliuk <tundra at bogus-city.tundraware.com> writes:
> P.S. X applications like xterm work flawlessly on the hosts in question.

It could still be that tk requires some client libraries that are
missing, that xterm doesn't use.  xterm is a much older and cruftier
program.  Does Gnome work?  For that matter, does Idle work (it is
a tkinter client)?

I remember that a guy I used to work with ported tk to an embedded linux
box with a working X server and display, but still had a rather rough
time getting tk running.  All I can suggest is curling up with gdb for a
while.

This has a few diagnostic suggestions that seem worth a try:
http://ftp.ntua.gr/mirror/python/topics/tkinter/trouble.html

Next thing after that is probably curl up with gdb for a while.