ANN: A new version (0.3.8) of python-gnupg has been released.

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 26 06:25:06 EDT 2015

A new version of the Python module which wraps GnuPG has been

released.

What Changed?
=============
This is an enhancement and bug-fix release, and all users are encouraged to upgrade.
See the project website [1] for more information.

Brief summary:

* Fixed #22: handled PROGRESS messages during verification and signing.

* Fixed #26: handled PINENTRY_LAUNCHED messages during verification,
  decryption and key generation.

* Fixed #28: Allowed a default Name-Email to be computed even when neither of
  LOGNAME and USERNAME are in the environment.

* Fixed #29: Included test files missing from the tarball in previous versions.

* Fixed #39: On Python 3.x, passing a text instead of a binary stream caused
  file decryption to hang due to a UnicodeDecodeError. This has now been
  correctly handled: The decryption fails with a "no data" status.

* Fixed #41: Handled Unicode filenames correctly by encoding them on 2.x using
  the file system encoding.

* Fixed #43: handled PINENTRY_LAUNCHED messages during key export. Thanks to
  Ian Denhardt for looking into this.

* Hide the console window which appears on Windows when gpg is spawned.
  Thanks to Kévin Bernard-Allies for the patch.

* Subkey fingerprints are now captured.

* The returned value from the list_keys method now has a new attribute,
  key_map, which is a dictionary mapping key and subkey fingerprints to
  the corresponding key's dictionary. With this change, you don't need to
  iterate over the (potentially large) returned list to search for a key with
  a given fingerprint - the key_map dict will take you straight to the key
  info, whether the fingerprint you have is for a key or a subkey. Thanks to
  Nick Daly for the initial suggestion.

This release [2] has been signed with my code signing key:

Vinay Sajip (CODE SIGNING KEY) <vina... at yahoo.co.uk>
Fingerprint: CA74 9061 914E AC13 8E66 EADB 9147 B477 339A 9B86

However, due to some error the signature for the source distribution (.tar.gz)
didn't get uploaded. To rectify this, I have pasted it into the PyPI page for
the release [2].
What Does It Do?
================
The gnupg module allows Python programs to make use of the
functionality provided by the Gnu Privacy Guard (abbreviated GPG or
GnuPG). Using this module, Python programs can encrypt and decrypt
data, digitally sign documents and verify digital signatures, manage
(generate, list and delete) encryption keys, using proven Public Key
Infrastructure (PKI) encryption technology based on OpenPGP.

This module is expected to be used with Python versions >= 2.4, as it
makes use of the subprocess module which appeared in that version of
Python. This module is a newer version derived from earlier work by
Andrew Kuchling, Richard Jones and Steve Traugott.

A test suite using unittest is included with the source distribution.

Simple usage:

>>> import gnupg
>>> gpg = gnupg.GPG(gnupghome='/path/to/keyring/directory')
>>> gpg.list_keys()

[{
'fingerprint': 'F819EE7705497D73E3CCEE65197D5DAC68F1AAB2',
'keyid': '197D5DAC68F1AAB2',
'length': '1024',
'type': 'pub',
'uids': ['', 'Gary Gross (A test user) <gary.gr... at gamma.com>']},
{
'fingerprint': '37F24DD4B918CC264D4F31D60C5FEFA7A921FC4A',
'keyid': '0C5FEFA7A921FC4A',
'length': '1024',
'uids': ['', 'Danny Davis (A test user) <danny.da... at delta.com>']}]
>>> encrypted = gpg.encrypt("Hello, world!", ['0C5FEFA7A921FC4A'])
>>> str(encrypted)

'-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----\nVersion: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)\n
\nhQIOA/6NHMDTXUwcEAf
.
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----\n'
>>> decrypted = gpg.decrypt(str(encrypted), passphrase='secret')
>>> str(decrypted)

'Hello, world!'
>>> signed = gpg.sign("Goodbye, world!", passphrase='secret')
>>> verified = gpg.verify(str(signed))
>>> print "Verified" if verified else "Not verified"

'Verified'

As always, your feedback is most welcome (especially bug reports [3],
patches and suggestions for improvement, or any other points via the
mailing list/discussion group [4]).

Enjoy!

Cheers

Vinay Sajip