Learning Modules, Arguments, Parameters (imma noob)

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 15:15:06 EDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 2:45 PM, <codywcox at gmail.com> wrote:

> I seem to be having a problem understanding how arguments and parameters
> work, Most likely why my code will not run.
> Can anyone elaborate on what I am doing wrong?
>
> '''
> Cody Cox
> 9/16/2015
> Programming Exercise 1 - Kilometer Converter
> Design a modular program that asks the user to enter a distance in
> kilometers and then convert it to miles
> Miles = Kilometers * 0.6214
> '''
>
> def main():
>    get_input()

Change the above call to:
      kilos = get_input()
This is because your function returns that value

>    convert_kilo()

This one you need to pass the kilos argument, and you don't need to pass
the miles parameter (see below)
       convert_kilo(kilos)

>  def get_input(kilo):

You defined get_input with no parameters, so it gets no arguments when you
call it:
    def get_input():

>    kilo = float(input('Enter Kilometers: '))
>    return kilo
>
>  def convert_kilo(kilo,miles):

Make the above:
    def convert_kilo(kilo):

>      miles = float(kilo * 0.6214)
>      print( kilo,' kilometers converts to ',miles,' miles')
>
>  main()

When you define a function, the names between the parentheses are called
parameters.  When you call the function, they are called arguments.  They
need to match.  When you return a value from a function, you need to put a
name to it, or it is lost.

> --

Joel Goldstick
http://joelgoldstick.com