Readlines returns non ASCII character

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 21:37:43 EDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 6:09 PM, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> On 2015-09-24 00:51, paul.hermeneutic at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>   If this starts at the beginning of the file, then it indicates that
>> the file is UTF-16 (LE).
>>
>> UTF-8[t 1]     EF BB BF       239 187 191
>> UTF-16 (BE)    FE FF          254 255
>> UTF-16 (LE)    FF FE          255 254
>> UTF-32 (BE)    00 00 FE FF    0 0 254 255
>> UTF-32 (LE)    FF FE 00 00    255 254 0 0
>>
> The "signature" EF BB BF indicates the encoding called "utf-8-sig" by
> Python. It occurs on Windows.
>
> If the file doesn't start with any of these, then it could be using any
> encoding (except UTF-16 or UTF-32).

Yes, but what does it mean when the signature is 00 FF 00 FE 00 FF and
occurs not at the beginning but repeatedly throughout the file, as
appears in the OP's case?

At least, I'm assuming that the high-order bytes are 00 based on what
the OP posted. I wouldn't be surprised though if they're just being
mangled by the terminal, if it happens to be a certain one that will
not be named but uses CP 1252.