Lightwight socket IO wrapper

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Tue Sep 22 17:00:37 EDT 2015

"James Harris" <james.harris.1 at gmail.com>:

> I agree with what you say. A zero-length UDP datagram should be
> possible and not indicate end of input but is that guaranteed and
> portable?

The zero-length payload size shouldn't be an issue, but UDP doesn't make
any guarantees about delivering the message. Your UDP application must
be prepared for some, most or all of the messages disappearing without
any error indication.

In practice, you'd end up implementing your own TCP on top of UDP
(retries, timeouts, acknowledgements, sequence numbers etc).

Marko