problem building python 3.5 extensions for windows

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Sep 22 09:35:00 EDT 2015

On 22/09/2015 11:14, Robin Becker wrote:
> On 22/09/2015 01:36, cjgohlke at gmail.com wrote:
.........t
>> <http://bugs.python.org/issue24872#msg249589>.
>>
> Thanks for the pointer Christoph.
>
> I certainly didn't let it run for 30 minutes. When I build with 2.7, 3.3 or 3.4
> the whole build including reportlab stuff is over in a couple of minutes. I will
> try again, but a linker that takes 30 minutes to create an extension that ends
> up 204Kb long has to be seriously broken. Is it trying to hard? Most of the code
> size is in arrays for code points etc etc.

I timed my builds of pyRXPU for x86 + amd64; these are on a core i5-3470 @
3.20Ghz with 4Gb memory.

python 3.4   1 minute  14 seconds
python 3.5  52 minutes 50 seconds

so with VS2015 it will now take me an hour to make and test any changes to this
extension. I don't see how the issue can be considered closed. VS2015 is clearly
not the way forward for any reasonable development process.
--
Robin Becker