problem building python 3.5 extensions for windows

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 21 10:30:10 EDT 2015

On 21/09/2015 15:00, Robin Becker wrote:

>> The most reported problem trying to build anything on Windows that is
>> Python
>> related.

>> I'd be inclined to go for the reinstall, painful as that might be.
>> I've tried
>> finding the batch file as a separate download but there's just too
>> many hits
>> about "download Visual Studio".
>>
> I think that's where I'm headed.
>
> Sadly this has been the worst python upgrade for a long time in windows
> land. I would gladly forgo all the bells and whistles for a simple
> install of the C compiler, but I'm never certain that I'll be able to do
> cross-compiles etc etc etc  :(

You used to be able to work around the "can't find vcvarsall.bat"
problem by hard coding the path to it, but that now fails with some
other obscure message, so I've given up trying to build anything other
than core Python.

An essential site for anybody trying to do serious work on Windows is
Christoph Gohlke's "Unofficial Windows Binaries for Python Extension
Packages" at http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence