Postscript to pdf

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Sun Sep 20 15:09:03 EDT 2015

In a message of Sun, 20 Sep 2015 20:27:48 +0200, Baladjy KICHENASSAMY writes:
>Hello,
>
>I'm using macosx, ps2pdf version i don't know :/ sorry....
>ok actually i found what is the problem...
>
>There is no problem with the ps file every thing is fine =)
>
>Can u please just tell me how to change paper settings ?
>i want to go from portait to landscape ?

Aha!  Great to know.
Do you have a real printer there, in which case is this a printer problem?
If so, I need the name of the printer and its model number to help look up
the way to make it do landscape.

If you just want to have ps2pdf produce landscape files, that is
surprisingly difficult, for the ps2pdf that uses ghostscript to
get the work done.  ps2pdf 'guesses' what is the correct orientation
and, stupidly, there is no way to tell it 'stop guessing, I know
what I want'.  It's very bad at guessing things that don't have
text -- or enough text -- in them.

Most of the time ps2pdf is just this:

gs \
  -o output.pdf \
  -sDEVICE=pdfwrite \
  -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress \
  -dHaveTrueTypes=true \
  -dEmbedAllFonts=true \
  -dSubsetFonts=false \
  -c ".setpdfwrite <</NeverEmbed [ ]>> setdistillerparams" \
  -f input.ps

where input.ps is the file you have and output.pdf is the pdf you want.
and we can make gs orient itself as you want with

    -c "<</Orientation 3>> setpagedevice"

Orientation 3 is landscape.  Orientation 0 is portrait.

If this is your problem, then see if you have gs (ghostscript)
and in that case see if this horrible long command works.

Laura