From logging to files to a better solution: syslog, Sentry, Logstash, ....

Thomas Güttler hv at tbz-pariv.de
Wed Sep 16 04:31:41 EDT 2015

Am Mittwoch, 16. September 2015 07:58:11 UTC+2 schrieb dieter:
> Thomas Güttler <hv at tbz-pariv.de> writes:
> > Am Freitag, 11. September 2015 11:03:52 UTC+2 schrieb jmp:
> >> Something like (python 2.7)
> >>
> >> import logging
> >>
> >> logCfg = {
> >>      'remote':(
> >>          logging.StreamHandler(),
> >>          logging.Formatter('Remote - %(levelname)s - %(message)s'),
> >>          logging.INFO,
> >>          ),
> >>      'vpn':(
> >>          logging.StreamHandler(),
> >>          logging.Formatter('VPN - %(levelname)s - %(message)s'),
> >>          logging.ERROR,
> >>          ),
> >> }
> >

> > .... Yes, I could do it this way.
> >
> > But somehow I am not happy with this solution.
> >
> > I think the filtering should be outside of python.
>
> Do you think, it will be easier there?
>
> You could also use the "syslog" handler and use "syslog"
> configuration features to separate the various message levels.
> >From my point of view, this will not be easier - but outside of Python :-)
>
> And you can develop your own Python logging handler delegating logging to
> your favorite external logging subsystem and then configure that.
> Likely the hardest approach...

Yes, this is a python list. I like python programming.

But I don't want to solve everything with one tool.

I wanted to know how python folks handle their logs.

I think filtering mails should be done outside the python interpreter.

Strange that no one seems to use one of the mentioned tools for log handling.

Regards,
  Thomas