Pyarmor, guard your python scripts

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue Sep 15 12:40:37 EDT 2015

On 2015-09-15, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I you may be underestimating the laziness and overestimating the
>> cleverness of most people. ;)
>
> Heh :) But in that case, you can probably get away with just
> zipimport. Deflation sure isn't encryption, but the code is pretty
> thoroughly concealed anyway.

I agree completely.  There are three categories of protection:

  1) The program never leaves your computer.

  2) Obfuscation to deter the idle curious from mucking about.

  3) Put the source code on the interwebs.

In category 2 you find the single-file/directory-app bundlers[1]
(which IIRC mostly use something like zipimport) and various other
"encryption" wrappers.  They all provide pretty much the same minimal
"protection".

[1] Most of which are intended to provide ease of distribution and
    installation -- the obfuscation is mostly a side-effect.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I love ROCK 'N ROLL!
                                  at               I memorized the all WORDS