[Datetime-SIG] Are there any "correct" implementations of tzinfo?

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Mon Sep 14 15:35:28 EDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015, at 04:53, Laura Creighton wrote:
> But this is not quite the complete story.  In many (most?) places in
> Saskatchewan, the rule is understood differently.  Instead of 'we keep
> to CST all year long' is is understood that  'we keep central time in
> the winter and mountain time in the summer'.

As far as I know, the position of the tzdata people is that while this
belief is held almost everywhere that does not observe DST but is
surrounded by places that do (I should know; I live in Indiana, which
was such a place until 2006), almost nowhere does it have any formal
legitimacy, and systems that use the data therefore, by design, will not
actually generate "CST/MDT" timestamps.

When exactly is this transition supposed to take place? At 2AM, Manitoba
springs forward, but Alberta remains on MST for another hour - nowhere
else in North America *but* Saskatchewan uses an offset of -06:00 for
this hour-long period.