How to set the history commands visible ?

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 06:47:02 EDT 2015

On 14 September 2015 at 09:24, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 6:01 PM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
>> Since you are a gmail user, you should be able to see this:

>> ...     print (i)
>> 0
>> 1
>> 2
>>
>> Now try to reply to me, quoting this in gmail.  Gmail will happily reflow
>> the lines above.
>>

> I, too, am using Gmail, and I simply selected those lines and clicked
> into the Reply box.

I've also just done the same but this is only possible if you've
enabled the "quote selected text" extension from the labs part of your
gmail settings. Perhaps it works differently if you just reply to the
whole thing...

> No wrapping in evidence.

There's no wrapping but now that Laura's repl session has two extra >
characters it looks like a mix of text at 5 and 2 level quoting depth.
This is why I would put spaces at the start of those lines. Not just
gmail but other mail clients will confuse this with different levels
of quoted text and it gets harder to read than it would if it were
indented.

> Is it a problem specific
> to the mobile app? I'm using the regular in-browser form.

A further confounding point is google's new "inbox" which is a
different interface to a gmail account. It has a number of features
that actually make it useful for _reading_ mailing lists but it's not
very good for replying: no plain text mode, top-post by default
(without even showing the ... to represent the quoted text - pop-out
reply to see that) and it quotes using a vertical line rather than >
characters and so on. From the mailing list end I'm not sure if it's
possible to tell whether someone has sent their reply from regular
gmail (like this one) or from inbox.

--
Oscar