[Datetime-SIG] Are there any "correct" implementations of tzinfo?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Sep 13 18:21:45 EDT 2015

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 5:24 AM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:

> My question, is whether it will handle Creighton, Saskatchewan, Canada?
> Creighton is an odd little place.  Like all of Saskatchewan, it is
> in the Central time zone, even though you would expect it to be
> in the Mountain time zone based on its location on the globe.
> The people of Saskatchewan have decided not to adopt Daylight
> Savings time.  Except for the people of Creighton (and
> nearby Denare Beach) -- who _do_ observe Daylight savings time.
>
> makes for an interesting corner case, one that I remember for
> personal (and not economic, or professional) reasons.

Hi Laura!

Wouldn't it be sufficient for people in Creighton to set their timezone to
US/Central? IIUC the Canadian DST rules are the same as the US ones. Now,
the question may remain how do people know what to set their timezone to.
But neither pytz nor datetime can help with that -- it is up to the
sysadmin.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)