Terminology: "reference" versus "pointer"

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 12 19:14:33 EDT 2015

On 12/09/2015 23:34, rurpy--- via Python-list wrote:
> On 09/12/2015 04:14 PM, Emile van Sebille wrote:
>> On 9/12/2015 12:58 PM, rurpy--- via Python-list wrote:
>>
>>> The question is whether what "pointer" means in languages that use the
>>> word is*so*  different than its meaning in the Python sense
>>
>> I can't find a single reference to pointer in the python docs outside
>> of ctypes.  What is its python sense?
>
> I should have said "proposed sense" (except I don't really mean
> proposed as in "let's change all the docs" but as "let's stop the
> hissy-fits when someone uses the term"), i.e. the way I, I think
> random832, and others use it re python. Sorry, I see in retrospect
> my phrasing could be confusing.

The "hissy-fits" are caused because Python the language does not have
pointers, so by definition there is no need to mention them in any way,
shape or form in any Python thread.  What is so difficult to understand
about that?  I would say it's not rocket science, but the insurers that
paid out over Ariane 5 maybe wouldn't be too happy with that.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence