Python handles globals badly.

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 12 01:25:37 EDT 2015

On 12/09/2015 06:07, Random832 wrote:
> Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>> How do I access these pointers?  Is there a builtin called pointer()
>> that's analogous to id()?
>
> You access them *all the time*. They are the *only* thing you access.
>
> But if you want... pointer = lambda x: return x
>
>> I'll ask again, where do pointers come into
>> the Jython and IronPython models?  How do I access their pointers, the
>> same builtin?  The fact that the underlying implementation language
>> has some terminology that it uses, has no bearing on the actual
>> language being implemented.
>
> I am not using "pointer" as language-specific terminology, I am using it
> as *the* name of the concept we are talking about. The Java and .NET
> runtimes *don't* use that terminology, but they still *actually* have
> pointers, in the same way that Python does.

Let's put it another way, in the 15 years I've been using Python I do
not recall any experienced Python programmer using "pointer", so what
makes you think, in 2015, that you are correct and everybody else is
wrong?  I still say that everything in Python is an object, and should
add that it has one or more things, "names", that are associated with
it.  Hence my preferred analogy about the sticky note.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence